ROOM DIVIDER : DAY 9

So today I got a half-day in the shop and I got the following completed, I really feel like this project is never going to end but I am enjoying the process.

WHAT I DID TODAY

  • MILLED THE REST OF 1X2'S
  • CROSS CUT THE LENGTH IN THE 200 PARTS
  • HAND SANDING TIME
  • THE PATTERN

MILLED THE REST OF THE 1X2'S

So i finished milling the rest of the wood for the pattern, this process was the same the same as my last post . I used my palm router with a chamfer bit in it and ran the 8 foot length of 1x2 in sections until I got 9 lengths completed, then i used my sander to smooth over the length to make it smooth to the touch.

 Here are the lengths of wood all with the chamfer profile.

Here are the lengths of wood all with the chamfer profile.

 Here is a close-up of the chamfer.

Here is a close-up of the chamfer.

CROSSCUT THE LENGTHS

All that was left was to crosscut all the lengths of wood to get the 200 pieces I needed, I started this on my last post I needed to cut 84 more pieces of the 6" and 60 pieces of the 3 3/4" pieces. The same as the last day I used my temporary stop block on my miter saw station because my Kreg stop block could only repeat cuts longer than 12". 

 Here are all the remaining pieces that I cut tonight, since the chop saw left very rough ends I needed to hand sand them next . If only these were gold bars lol.

Here are all the remaining pieces that I cut tonight, since the chop saw left very rough ends I needed to hand sand them next . If only these were gold bars lol.

 Here is another picture of my temporary stop block set-up on the chop saw.

Here is another picture of my temporary stop block set-up on the chop saw.

 and more saw-dust.....really don't like a messy shop

and more saw-dust.....really don't like a messy shop

 This was a messy process , the amount of sawdust created using the router and miter saw was a lot, really need dust collection on these tools.

This was a messy process , the amount of sawdust created using the router and miter saw was a lot, really need dust collection on these tools.

HAND SANDING

After I finished cross cutting all the individual pieces that make up the herring bone pattern, my miter saw left a lot of chip out on some of the pieces and since these were going to be focal point of the dividers I needed to clean them up.

So I used 220 grit sandpaper and cleaned up the edges with the paper, I needed to sand 144 pieces and it took some time but I needed to do them and to be honest I don't mind hand sanding i get to sit down and enjoy the process.

 You can see how ugly the edges look on the pieces, that is why I needed to hand sand them.

You can see how ugly the edges look on the pieces, that is why I needed to hand sand them.

 Here are most of the pieces that I habd sanded.

Here are most of the pieces that I habd sanded.

 Finally after all that hand sanding , here are the 200 pieces that will make up the pattern on the front of the dividers.

Finally after all that hand sanding , here are the 200 pieces that will make up the pattern on the front of the dividers.

THE PATTERN

Since I had all the parts ready to use in the pattern, I wanted to see the pattern with real wood and not a 3D image so I arranged the pieces into my predetermined pattern and you can see the image below. The pattern shows just 2 rows so the final divider will have 10 rows and I think it will look awesome.

I also identified a problem, I need to make sute the spacing on all pieces are uniform other wise it will look terrible if they are not all in line with each other, so I think I am going to have to make a pattern jig when laying them out on the divider. It will not be anything fancy I will make it from scrap... more to come on that

 Here is the pattern, its very symetrical but I think it will look good, I need to make a jig to keep all these pieces in line with each other or it will look terrible.

Here is the pattern, its very symetrical but I think it will look good, I need to make a jig to keep all these pieces in line with each other or it will look terrible.

NEXT

  • Make the pattern layout jig
  • Give the dividers another sanding
  • Apply another coat of black paint to the fronts.
  • Starting applying the herringbone pieces
  • Apply a protective finish using my HVLP 
  • Apply chalk-board paint
  • Apply cork-board
  •