ROOM DIVIDER: DAY 10

So today I got a little time in the shop, so I didnt get a whole lot done because I had to pick up my new router.

WHAT I GOT DONE TODAY

  • A replacement tool
  • Made a layout template for the pattern.

REPLACEMENT TOOL

Whenever I get a new tool I am always excited especially a tool like this, since my Craftsman router had broken during the week I needed a replacement so I went online and saw a Bosch 1617EVSPK on sale. I have been wanting this router for a long time now but I make it a rule that I don't just purchase a tool whenever I already have a similar tool that operates. So with my Craftsman breaking I decided to pull the trigger on ordering this tool kit.

The router had great reviews and since Bosch is a very reputable brand in power tools and has the following features I didn't hesitate.

  • 1/4" S. R. Collet Chuck 
  • 1/2" S. R. Collet Chuck 
  • 16mm Shaft Wrench 
  • Collet Nut Wrench 
  • Chip Shield 
  • Fixed Base 
  • Plunge Base
  • T-Handle Hex Height Adjustment Wrench 
  • Pack of 3 10-24 Screws for Table Mounting 
 Here is my new toy I cant wait to get started with this

Here is my new toy I cant wait to get started with this

 It has a very powerful 2 .25 HP motor, and I love the wooden handles, the kit came with a fixed and plunge base

It has a very powerful 2 .25 HP motor, and I love the wooden handles, the kit came with a fixed and plunge base

 It also comes in this very sturdy carry case, I have to say its better than most of my tool cases 

It also comes in this very sturdy carry case, I have to say its better than most of my tool cases 

The only downside of ordering a new router is that I need to replace my router plate insert for my Kreg router table because the screw holes are located in different place on the base of the tool. 

I also need to remake a lot of my shop made jigs such as the circle cutting jig and my dado and groove jig, but I will make them when I need to.

TEMPLATE JIG

I decided to make a template to use when placing the herringbone pieces onto the divider because the pattern is very symmetrical and I need all the pieces to line up.

So I made the pattern using 3/4" plywood and I also used the 6" and 3 3/4" pieces to set the template you can see pictures below. So when it comes to me actually putting the pattern on the dividers I just need to apply the pieces into the jig and glue and brad nail them in place and not have to worry about the spacing. I stuck it all together with just glue, I tried using staples but they didnt work

 I made this 2d printout using my Sketchup software so as that I knew exactly how long the jig puieces needed to be.

I made this 2d printout using my Sketchup software so as that I knew exactly how long the jig puieces needed to be.

 My first jig I tried using MDF put it didn't work very well , but you can see the pieces in place, I need to do 10 rows per divider so you can see why I needed a template. I remade this template out of plywood

My first jig I tried using MDF put it didn't work very well , but you can see the pieces in place, I need to do 10 rows per divider so you can see why I needed a template. I remade this template out of plywood

 I just used clamps and glue to keep this all together.

I just used clamps and glue to keep this all together.

 Here is the finished template.

Here is the finished template.

 Here is another view of the template, hopefully now with a bit of luck I can lay the herringbone pattern without much problems

Here is another view of the template, hopefully now with a bit of luck I can lay the herringbone pattern without much problems

NEXT

  • Need to do a final sanding of the legs and face frames
  • Need to apply a second coat of black paint
  • Lay the pattern on the dividers using today's jig
  • Need to apply a water-based poly using my HVLP sprayer

Until then take care.