WHAT I DID TODAY
- Secured the right leg in position
- Cleaned up the wooden plugs
- Sanded the face frames and legs
- Router Time
- Secured the left foot
SECURED THE RIGHT LEG
As I did yesterday I secured the right leg into position today, using the same biscuit slot joinery.
CLEANED UP THE WOODEN PLUGS
Yesterday I added the wooden oak plugs to cover the the screw heads that I used to secure the legs to the frame in addition to the biscuits.
They were left proud yesterday so today I used my flush trim saw to cut the excess plug off. Below you can see the before and after pictures of the plugs.
SANDED THE DIVIDER
After flushing up the plugs I decided to sand everything from 80 - 150 grit sand paper using my belt sander and also my orbital sander
On projects this large I usually started with my belt sander with 80 grit to get rid off all the glue squeeze out and after all the glue is gone I use my random orbital sander to really make it smooth using 150 grit and then finally 220 grit sandpaper.
Sorry I didn't take any pictures because its sanding and a lot more of that to come!!!
In order to remove all the sharp corners on the legs and the frame in general I used my Rigid Palm router with a 1 /4" roundover bit in it to curve the edges making it easy on the hands when you need to move the divider about.
SECURED THE FOOT
I needed to secure the foot in place so as that I could determine how long the middle leg needed to be be. All that I needed to do was to apply glue to the mortise and tenon joint and then drill a 3/8" hole through the leg and into the foot in ordered for me to add a dowel rod to add more strength to the joint. It might be overkill but I figured this one part of the entire project needs to be as strong as I can make it because it is what makes the entire divider move able and also keeps it vertical and erect.
So that all I got done today, tomorrow I hop to get the following completed
- Secure the other foot
- Sand the other panel, basically a repeat of todays activities.
Until then Take Care