So after yesterday’s glue up fiasco I decided today that I would make a clamping station, something that I have been meaning to do for a while now and I will describe the project below.
I found 2 articles online that I used to design this jig, one I found on one of woodworking pages that I am a member of and the other was a YouTube video, links to both are below.
I really liked this concept because of a couple of reasons.
It was quick to make
I could use scrap plywood, so it didn’t cost anything
I could collapse the jig and store until I needed it
I could customize it, I could make any length I wanted depending on the usual size of glue-ups I do, I could also make different sized stretchers depending on what size clamps I would be using.
The other resource that I found was a YouTube video created on a channel called the Woodworkweb and you can see it below.
This guy took a different approach to how the pipe clamps would be secured into the jig, instead of using the half-circle approach , he thought that there was still too much movement when the pipe clamp was sitting on the jig so he created a “V” so as that the pipe would be more secure inside the jig.
He demonstrates this in the video below.
MATERIALS I USED
I decided to use scrap plywood that I had on hand and I couldn’t think of a better project because I could clear some of my stock.
I had a quarter sheet of plywood, so the dimensions I used was 4” high x 40” long piece for the front and back of the jig. I also made 2 different sized stretchers or sides of the jig so as that I could use different sized pipe clamps depending what I was actually gluing up, so I made the stretchers 24” & 36” wide.
I turned to my trusty Sketchup to design the 3D Version of the jig. You can see some pictures of the plans that I made below.
I included a link to the free plans at the bottom of the post.
STEP 1 : I cut the plywood to size which was the following
2 Pieces at 4” wide x 36” (front & back pieces)
2 Pieces at 4” wide x 36” (sides)
2 Pieces at 4” x 26” ( these will be used with 24’ pipe clamps)
STEP 2 : I marked out where the half-lap joinery needed to be placed so I measured 1” from each side of the front/back parts then using a piece of scrap of plywood marked the position of the lap joint. To avoid making any mistakes mark out the waste for the lap joint ,on the front & back the lap should be removed from the top. The side pieces should have the material removed from the bottom. I could of used my dado stack in the table saw to remove the half-lap waste but 4 only 4 cuts I decided to just leave the regular blade in the saw and clean up with a chisel.
STEP 3 : I needed to add the “V” notches to hold the bar clamps in place.
To do this I tilted the saw blade to 30° and lowered the blade to about 3/4” high and made a pencil mark on my miter fence to determine where the starting point of the blade entering the work-piece and then made another adjacent mark about 7/8” away from the other, this marked bot sides of the cut, thus creating the V. I spaced out each V about 5-1/2” away from each other and I got this measurement by laying out 2 bar clamps next to each other to determine what space I needed so as that hat the clamp handles could rotate freely to tighten the clamp without bumping into each other.
Basically that is all you need to do, I posted pictures below to show some of the features of it and I actually got to use it today for another Project that I am working on “The Craft Beer Flight Project”
So now that I have solved my glue-up problem I can move back to my main project. I hope you enjoyed this little project, its not the fanciest project but it sure is a functional one.