DRILL PRESS CART : DAY 5

I am starting to see the end of the project as the whole cabinet is built and the drawers are attached, here is what I did today.

  • Cut & Attached False fronts
  • Used my new Grr-ripper Attachment
  • Applied Finish to the cabinet carcass and drawer fronts

FALSE FRONTS

When I was cutting up the 4x8 panel I put a piece aside so as that I could cut all my false fronts in sequence so as that I could keep the grain pattern on the plywood inline to add a finished touch on the front of the cart, its the little things that make a project pop.

 I used my crosscut sled on my table-saw to cut all the false fronts to final size.

I used my crosscut sled on my table-saw to cut all the false fronts to final size.

 Here is the bottom false front, I am not attaching them yet as I want to apply the water based finish before I install them.

Here is the bottom false front, I am not attaching them yet as I want to apply the water based finish before I install them.

 I used 1/8" spacers to provide a little reveal between the drawers, I used my Grr-ripper to do that but more on that in the next part.

I used 1/8" spacers to provide a little reveal between the drawers, I used my Grr-ripper to do that but more on that in the next part.

NEW ACCESSORY

I own one of the Grrippers which is basically a expensive push stick but it has so many cool features that make table-saw work more safe, so I have been wanting to cut very thin strips for various applications and Microjig the manufacturer of the Grripper have accesories to add to your tool that allow so many applications. 

So I got the 1/8" leg attachment, it basically allows you to rip 1/8" think stock and have it fully supported through the saw blade it also reduces saw burn on the work-piece which reduces the need to sand it it

If you would like to read more about this accessory click the link below.

 Here is the 1/8" thick strips that I made, I need these as spacers between the drawer false fronts.

Here is the 1/8" thick strips that I made, I need these as spacers between the drawer false fronts.

 Here is the front of the gripper.. (stock photo)

Here is the front of the gripper.. (stock photo)

 Here is my Grripper getting ready to cut the strips

Here is my Grripper getting ready to cut the strips

 On the left side of this image you can see the accesory I purchased

On the left side of this image you can see the accesory I purchased

APPLIED FINISH

I thought that it would be easier to apply the finish to the false fronts and the cabinet now rather than waiting until the project was finished. For shop projects my go to finish is usually Minwax Polycrylic, I like this finish because its supper easy to apply with a foam brush and is extremely durable for a workshop, it also is good in my opinion at keeping dust away and if it does get dusty a simply damp rag will clean it up nice.

 Here is the finish, you can read more about it  here

Here is the finish, you can read more about it here

I also usually use props to raise whatever I am finishing up from the bench by putting the work-piece on Painters tripods seen below, but I ran out of them so I made my own quick and dirty using a simple square piece of plywood and put a screw through it.

 Here is a painters tripod

Here is a painters tripod

 Here is my shop made risers, cheap but effective

Here is my shop made risers, cheap but effective

So I covered my workbench in rosin paper to protect it from drips and dust getting onto my drawer fronts nad Istarted applying the finish, I will be applying a total of 3 coats sanding in between with 220 grit sandpaper.

 Applied 1 coat in this picture

Applied 1 coat in this picture

 I moved everything to a smaller bench and applied the 3rd coat, I love how the grain popped on the cabinet side.

I moved everything to a smaller bench and applied the 3rd coat, I love how the grain popped on the cabinet side.

THE TOP (tbc)

The top is extremely easy to make, I am still using pocket holes to attach everything. The top is basically a piece of plywood cut to size and and edge banded with some solid ash covering all the plywood edges. The edgebanding give the top a nice thick look but in effect it is only 3/4" thick.

 Here you can see the solid ash I picked up from a local lumber yard and the plywood top.

Here you can see the solid ash I picked up from a local lumber yard and the plywood top.

NEXT :

  • Attaching the false fronts 
  • Make and attach the top
  • Attach the castors
  • Make drawer pulls