ROOM DIVIDER: DAY 11

Let me give you a brief status update as to where the room divider project stands up until yesterday and then I will provide today's activities.

I made the layout template, after making the template I realized that a few of the spaces were a little tight so I needed to shave a few of the herringbone pieces down so as that they would fit in the template, you will see black circles on the template , these are the places that I needed to adjust.

 Here is the template that I made, as I metioned above I needed to slim some of the pieces down, I marked the template with black marking to show which ones needed the adjusted size.

Here is the template that I made, as I metioned above I needed to slim some of the pieces down, I marked the template with black marking to show which ones needed the adjusted size.

I also applied the second coat of black paint to the front of the panels , so all that was needed  was to start adding the herringbone pattern pattern which I started today.

WHAT I DID TODAY

  • Some Sanding
  • Using the template
  • 2 Rows complete
  • 4 Rows Complete
  • All 5 rows completed
  • Some Cosmetic Touches
  • One Panel Complete.

SOME SANDING

After I painted the 2nd coat of the semi gloss black paint on the front of the dividers I needed to sand down the legs and face frames because to be honest I am not that great a painter and some black paint had gotten onto some parts that didn't need paint.

 Here I am using my orbital sander after the paint had dried, as you can see it created a lot of dust build up on the panel, so I just vacummed that up and wiped it down with a damp rag. I sanded it as before from 80 grit - 220 grit

Here I am using my orbital sander after the paint had dried, as you can see it created a lot of dust build up on the panel, so I just vacummed that up and wiped it down with a damp rag. I sanded it as before from 80 grit - 220 grit

USING THE TEMPLATE

After ironing out all the little imperfections in the template it was time to put it to work. My process for laying the pieces was simple but had a lot of repitition.

  1. I applied glue to the backs of the herringbone pieces
  2. Put them in position into the template
  3. I added a 1/4" shim to the left side of the template to make sure any imperfections in the face frame were leveled out.
  4. Finally used my brad nailer and used 1 1/4" brads to secure the pieces while the glue set.
  5. Finally I lifted the template up and moved it down and repeat.
 Here you can see the template in action.

Here you can see the template in action.

TWO ROWS COMPLETE

 Here is the 2 rows complete.

Here is the 2 rows complete.

 Here is another view of the first 2 rows.

Here is another view of the first 2 rows.

FOUR ROWS COMPLETE

 Here is another view of the first 4 rows. I am moving along at a nice pace.

Here is another view of the first 4 rows. I am moving along at a nice pace.

 Here you can see 4 rows down, basically the template replicated because the template does 2 rows at a time.

Here you can see 4 rows down, basically the template replicated because the template does 2 rows at a time.

ALL FIVE ROWS COMPLETED

I have to say I really love the design that I have made, it might not be everyone's favorite because its very symmetrical but I love how allighned it looks. 

 All 5 rows completed, I really love how this looks and more importantly the wife loves it too.

All 5 rows completed, I really love how this looks and more importantly the wife loves it too.

 A close-up of the pattern.

A close-up of the pattern.

 One panel down and one more to go.

One panel down and one more to go.

COSMETIC TOUCH-UPS

So because I used my brad nailer to pin the pieces of the wood pattern to the panel it left horrible little indents where the brad penetrated the wood, so I used a product that I always use  

 This little product is a life saver

This little product is a life saver

 Before the filler was applied, so ugly.

Before the filler was applied, so ugly.

 After the filler is applied, so much better. Cannot even see the indents

After the filler is applied, so much better. Cannot even see the indents

PANEL ONE COMPLETE

So after all that work today I finally have one panel complete as far as the pattern is concerned, I need to do it all again to finish the pattern on both panels. I took a few pictures on the panel in its vertical position, you can see them below.

 Sorry for the poor picture quality, its in part of the workshop that still has the florescent lighting, some day I will get rid of that.

Sorry for the poor picture quality, its in part of the workshop that still has the florescent lighting, some day I will get rid of that.

 Here is another view

Here is another view

So after spending most of the morning in the shop I felt really accomplished in what I got done, I really didnt think that I would have gotten as much done as I did but hopefully tomorrow I can get the other panel complete. I finally see the light at the end of the this project and I have learnt so much so far. Really enjoying this project I didnt think it would take this long but the project is extremely involved and I doing  lot of firsts.

COMING NEXT

  • Complete the other panel
  • Basically everything that was done today needs to be done on the other panel
  • I need to apply chalkboard paint & cork board to the back side of the panel
  • Finally need to apply the Minwax poly acrylic finish with my HVLP sprayer.

Until then, take care